Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Report

Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Guide Report 

Lake Ray Hubbard is in winter time mode full force ! It is now a brand new year , 2022 and on some days the weather is down right fantastic in the great state of Texas.The holidays are over and time to get this new year started. This time of year we start at midday as we let it warm up a bit. I haven’t updated my blog in a while and I apologize. With the late summer, then holidays I was pretty busy. We had a nothing wave of Covid-19 and I know a lot of people that were effected this time. Let's hope 2022 goes a little better on that front. I am also excited about the fishing for 2022 as usual. I know it's almost February but that starts the white bass spawn here pretty soon. Before long it will be the start of spring and we are off to the races.  

Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Guide
Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing
Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Report





 

White Bass Patterns

Lake Ray Hubbard from mid January all the way thru March the white bass will roam on the deep flats especially around river channels and levees. The shad will be in huge schools suspended about the middle water column and the fish should be in the same areas. I always tell people if you can find the big balls of bait then you should find the fish. Also when the water cooled down and thru April we “call” the fish. Thats right, we use a thumper that beats the bottom of the boat and will draw the schools under the boat. I do not know why it works , as I am just a fishing guide and not a biologist. Back in the day wee would use a stick of some sort and tap the floor of the boat. Now days almost every one has an electronic thumper. My one arm would look like one of Popeyes arms time the season was over with the old method.  


Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing
Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Guide
Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Report





 White Bass Lures

I only use one set up this time of year. I have 3-4 drop shot hooks in a line about 12 inches apart with a 3/4 oz slab on the bottom. You can fish this a few different ways and it depends what the fish are wanting. In the winter we do a technique called “dead sticking” and it is exactly that. You lower the lures , hold them still. The Whitebass would just thump it, you have to be quick. When locating the fish I can see how deep they are on my fish finder. Most of the time they are suspended up around 5-10 ft off of bottom. Sometime you have to reel slow thru the fish, when I say slow, I mean slow. Other times just hold it still.  


Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Guide


We target White Bass year round .  Lake Ray Hubbard has a great white bass and hybrid Striper population.  For more information on Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Guide, follow this link.

 



Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing