Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Report

Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Guide Report 

Lake Ray Hubbard August fishing was pretty consistent with some really great days to some tough days. When the water temps reach that mid to high 80’s it can be challenging. September is the month everyone gets excited but it is still summer and hot. The great thing about September is it is the start of hunting season , football and school. Lake Ray Hubbard can be a very busy lake in the summer especially past 10:00 am when all the pleasure boats start getting out. The weekends now are pretty quiet , way less boat traffic and the fishing is pretty good. As soon as we start getting a couple cool fronts and the fishing will become pretty awesome.  



Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing



White Bass Patterns

Lake Ray Hubbard in September is still schooling time for white bass usually. I look for some signs of life as far as shad or birds. The fish will not only school early in the morning or late in the afternoon but also mid mornings. I have been starting a little earlier and blind casting in shallow water getting a pretty good top water bite. The thermocline has set in around 16-18 ft and that is the water I focus on after fish have schooled. Always remember if you find fish schooling do not run thru them with you big engine running as this usually spooks the fish down. When the schooling stops I always check the drop offs by the flats as fish will move a little deeper. As the sun gets up, don’t be afraid to look in shallow water up to 9 ft. I can’t explain why they would stay in such shallow water this time of year . I believe it has to do with the thermocline but as I have stated before I am not a biologist. If things get really tough you can always have success trolling this time of year. I will explain that below in the lure section. I am either looking for “clumps” of fish shallow or schools suspended around 16-18 ft right off of humps or points. You can also slow roll mepps when you find clumps of fish really shallow, although this takes practice and very few of my guest can do this technique . 













 White Bass Lures

I will have a tiny torpedo tied on if I only have a couple of people on the boat early in the morning or some type of tail spinner when looking for schooling fish. One of my favorite ones is the humdinger tail spinner. Its too dangerous with 3-4 people with all those hooks for top waters. I am still using 3/4 oz slabs with a jig above sometimes . Lure presentation is always key with suspended fish. Drop that slab to the bottom and raise it high slowly as the fish are not usually right on bottom, you can also from a slab and reel slowly up about 5-6 turns. If you notice fish suspended out from humps or points and moving, this is why trolling can flat out put fish in the box. I use the jet diver with release and a pet spoon . I also have counter reels so I know how deep I am running, if you do not have that , then experiment with your set up to figure out the depth by count turns on your reel. If you can practice enough with the mepps it is deadly. Throw it out, let sink (patients) and slow roll it back. 







Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Guide



We target White Bass year round .  Lake Ray Hubbard has a great white bass and hybrid Striper population.  For more information on Lake Ray Hubbard Fishing Guide, follow this link.